Use your slow cooker to make a traditional shepherd’s pie filled with lean ground beef and vegetables and topped with creamy mashed potatoes.
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 3 hrs
Total: 3 hrs 10 mins
- 4 medium Yukon Gold or Maris Piper potatoes (about 2 lb.)
- 100ml milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- Prick potatoes all over with a fork. Microwave potatoes on high, turning once, until tender, about 8 minutes. Remove from microwave, let cool slightly, then peel and mash with milk and butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spray some warm olive oil into your slow cooker pot. Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds longer. Add beef, increase heat to medium-high and cook, breaking up chunks, until meat is cooked and beginning to brown, 8 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, Worcestershire, thyme and 1/2 tsp. Each salt and pepper. In a small cup, whisk cornstarch with 1 cup of water. Add to skillet and cook, stirring, until liquid thickens slightly. Remove from heat; transfer to slow cooker.
- Layer vegetables on top of meat; top with potatoes. Cover, turn the slow cooker to low and cook for 3 hours.
saturated fat 6g;