Sweet potatoes are a good alternative to potatoes. You can make this mash the day before and reheat it with a little milk or cream to loosen it.
1.2 kg sweet potatoes, peeled
Pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
150ml single cream
1. Cut the sweet potatoes into chunks. Place in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Add a good pinch of salt and bring to the boil. Cook until the sweet potatoes are soft, drain and return to the pan. Heat for 30 seconds to dry out the potatoes, mash them and add the cream. Whisk with a wooden spoon to fluff them up. Add black pepper and more salt if it needs it.
– Use double cream to make the mash richer but use only 80ml.
– Use butter instead of cream.
– Add finely chopped herbs – dill, basil, thyme, rosemary, lovage, sage – when you add the cream.
– Add a tablespoon or two of grated Parmesan or Grana Padano with the cream.
How to make sweet potato soup
Turn the sweet potato mash into soup by adding enough hot chicken or vegetable stock to thin it out and blend until smooth.
Butternut Squash, Aubergine and Cep soup
Roast Saffron Potatoes
Courgette and Cumin Soup
How to roast a joint of pork
How to Make Flavoured Mash
Dutch Fried Tomatoes
Beetroot with Cumin
Lentils with Roast Peppers, Cherry Tomatoes and Sherry Vinegar Dressing
Moorish Orange Olives
Helen’s Decadent Dingle Whiskey Chocolate Torte
Meringues with Raspberry and Rose Syrup
Lemon and Lime Ice Cream
Griddled Plums with Feta Cheese, Maple Syrup and Mint
A Quick Sophisticated Strawberry and Vanilla Gratin