Taleggio is a soft creamy Italian cheese which melts beautifully. You’ll need a medium-size gratin or baking dish. Serve on its own with a salad or roast vegetables or as a side dish for roast lamb. Add cooked turkey when you are layering the potatoes for a Turkey, Potato and Taleggio Gratin.
Serves 2 for a main course with a salad, 4 for a side dish
1 garlic clove, cut in half
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into thin slices
100g Taleggio, cut into small cubes
4 semi-dried tomatoes or 2 large sun-dried tomatoes cut into small strips
30g pancetta, cut into small cubes (or buy the mini-packs in the supermarket*)
Freshly ground black pepper
100ml sour cream and full-fat milk, combined
1. Rub the cut garlic clove around the inside of a baking dish and grease it with the olive oil.
2. Layer the potatoes, Taleggio and tomatoes in the dish. Sprinkle the pancetta on top.
3. Season the sour cream and milk mixture with black pepper and pour it into the dish. Cover the dish with tin foil so the pancetta doesn’t burn. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C/350F/Gas 4 for 45-50 minutes until golden, removing the tin foil for the last 15 minutes of cooking. Check with a sharp knife to ensure the potatoes are cooked through.
– Semi-dried tomatoes are less salty and aggressively-flavoured than sun-dried tomatoes which can overpower a delicate dish like this. Either way you won’t need salt as the pancetta and the tomatoes will be salty.
– If you don’t have pancetta (though most supermarkets sell it quite cheaply in two sealed packets) use small cubes of streaky bacon. If you buy the pack of two, use the leftover pancetta in pack one along with the pancetta in the second pack to make our Authentic Spaghetti Carbonara the next day.
– Use 100ml of single cream instead of the sour cream and full-fat milk mixture or half cream/half milk. Always use full-fat milk as the fat is required to give the gratin a creamy texture.
Pappardelle with Pancetta and Blue Cheese
Penne with Pachino Tomato and Anchovy Sauce
Lentil, Feta and Mint Salad with Beetroot Purée
Master Tomato Sauce recipe
Fiorentina Steak with Olive Oil, Rosemary and Pepper Sauce
Warm Chestnut Mushroom and Mange Tout Salad
Baked Fennel and Red Pepper with Pecorino
French Brioche Toast with Berry Compote and Sour Cream
Photography copyright foodpixies.com