Adding honey to Brussels sprouts brings out their sweetness and reduces bitterness.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, finely sliced
1 garlic clove, halved
1 strip pancetta, cut into fine dice
500g brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
2 teaspoons honey
1. Heat the oil and half the butter in a large frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook over gentle heat until the onion is soft. Remove the garlic and discard.
2. Add the pancetta and fry until golden.
3. Add the brussels sprouts and cook for up to 10 minutes or until tender, turning them once or twice.
4. Add the honey and the rest of the butter and cook for 1-2 minutes over medium heat, tossing the brussels sprouts to coat them. Season with salt and black pepper and garnish with the fried onions when serving.
– Garnish the Brussels sprouts with toasted chopped nuts – walnuts, hazelnuts or pine nuts would be excellent for texture.
– Obviously leave out the pancetta for a vegetarian version of this brussels sprouts recipe!