We suggest using soft corn tortillas for this recipe – they are gluten-free, low fat and taste much better than the flour wraps you buy in the supermarket that have little nutritional value. Buy a pack and freeze them so you have them when you need them (see the shopping source at the bottom of the recipe). This recipe is perfect for using up turkey leftovers – skip step 1 as the turkey is already cooked.
For the chicken
4 chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
1 tablespoon flour (plain or self-raising)
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons rapeseed or olive oil
4 tortillas (preferably made from corn rather than flour and water)
4 tablespoons garlic mayonnaise or aioli (recipe below)
Tomato salsa (recipe below)
1 red onion, peeled and sliced
1/2 bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1 red chilli, seeds removed and sliced
2 fresh limes, halved
1. Place the chicken, flour, smoked paprika, dried oregano and salt and pepper in a plastic bag. Toss well.
2. Heat the oil in large non-stick frying pan. Cook the chicken over medium-heat for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the heat.
2. Warm the tortillas on both sides in a dry frying pan.
3. Serve the tortillas with the chicken, aioli, salsa, red onion, coriander and chilli and let everyone fill their tortilla in whatever order they wish. Give everyone a half lime to squeeze on their tortilla.
AIOLI RECIPE – Make the aioli by grating one or two cloves of garlic into 160ml of mayonnaise (full-fat or low-fat but make sure it is a good brand). Two cloves makes a killer aioli but it also makes you unsocial.
– TOMATO SALSA RECIPE – To make the tomato salsa: quarter ripe cherry tomatoes and place in a bowl; add a finely chopped green chilli or sliced jalapenos (you can buy them in a jar) with a finely chopped clove of garlic, finely chopped red or white onion and a little salt. Leave to macerate for half an hour before using.
Where to find real corn tortillas in Ireland
You can buy real Mexican tortillas at Picado – they run Mexican supper clubs and workshops at their school in 44A South Richmond Street.