Use only the best meat for this salad as you won’t be cooking the beef for long. Use an aged sirloin, a rib-eye or even a t-bone steak.
1 sirloin steak, brushed with olive oil and seasoned with salt and black pepper on both sides and trimmed of fat
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 red roast red or yellow pepper, cut into strips
1 clove of garlic, sliced finely
Two handfuls of rocket (about 50g)
20g Parmesan, shaved
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper
1. Heat a griddle or frying pan until you can barely hold your hand 2 inches above it. Lay the steak on the pan and leave it for 3 minutes per side for rare and 4 minutes per side for medium, turning halfway through and only when the meat is sealed and will ease off the pan without sticking. Leave to rest for 2-3 minutes, then slice into strips. In another pan, add the olive oil and fry the roast pepper strips and garlic for 1-2 minutes.
2. Make the dressing: whisk the dressing ingredients together, adding salt and pepper to taste. Toss the meat together with the roast peppers, rocket and dressing. Top with Parmesan.
Recipe Note and Variations
– You don’t need to use oil to cook the steak, just make sure that the pan is hot enough before you add the meat. Don’t move the steak for at 2 minutes so it has time to seal – that’s how it doesn’t stick. If you move it too early, the meat will tear.
– You can also use fillet steak and change the leaves from rocket to fresh baby spinach leaves.
– For a special treat, add truffle oil to the dressing or use a flavoured oil.
– You could use slow-roasted tomatoes instead of peppers.