A small sized pasta is correct for this dish because the chicken and broccoli are cut into small pieces so that you can eat a spoon of pasta with chicken and broccoli in one bite.
400g small pasta (macaroni, orecchiette, small penne)
1 head of broccoli, cut into dainty florets
40g pine nuts
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
1 garlic clove, halved
100ml white wine
50ml single cream
Freshly grated Parmesan to sprinkle on the pasta
Fresh basil leaves to garnish
1. Cook the pasta in lots of boiling salted water according to the packet instructions.
2. Cook the broccoli in lots of boiling water until you can pierce it easily with a fork.
3. Toast the pine nuts in a dry pan until golden.
3. While the pasta is cooking heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan. Season and fry the chicken strips until golden and cooked through (about 5 minutes). Set aside. Add the garlic to the pan with the last tablespoon of olive oil and cook, over medium heat, for 1 minute until fragrant but not coloured. Add the chicken back to the pan with the white wine and cream, turn the heat to medium and cook until the sauce has thickened.
4. Toss the pasta with the sauce and cooked broccoli, sprinkle with the toasted pine nuts and serve topped with Parmesan and basil leaves.
MORE RECIPES FROM THE GREATFOOD ITALIAN KITCHEN
The Butcher & The Cook: Fiorentina Steak with Rosemary Dressing
Pasta with Olive and Caper Tomato Sauce
Parmesan Cheese Straws
Spaghetti with Rocket Pesto and Tomatoes
Tortellini and Vegetable Soup
Penne with Roast Vegetables
Tomato, Fennel, Spring Onion and Parmesan Crostata
How to make Pesto
What you need to know about pasta