Pierogi are traditional potato, onion and cheese dumplings from Poland. The recipe was given to us by a Polish lady, who made them as a thank-you gift.
Serves 4 (divides in half or doubles easily)
For the dumpling:
220g plain flour
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons of vegetable or olive oil
Enough warm water to bind
Pinch of salt
For the filling:
1 large onion, chopped finely
2 large potatoes, peeled, cooked, mashed and seasoned
220g cottage cheese, mashed with a fork
To make the dumpling wrapper:
1. Put the flour in a bowl. Add an egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of oil.
2. Mix, and add a little warm water until the dough comes together.
3. Knead into a smooth ball.
4. Cover in cling film and leave to rest while you make the filling.
To make the filling:
1. Fry the onion in butter until it is translucent.
2. Mix with the mashed potato.
3. Add the cheese, salt and pepper and mix.
4. Divide the dough into small balls. Roll each one out into a small circle.
5. Fill each dumpling wrapper with a little mixture and bring up the dough to cover. Seal the edges with a little water. (The filling swells up so don’t fill too much).
6. Simmer in lots of boiling water for a few minutes until cooked. The dumplings will look fluffier and fuller.
7. Drain and serve with sour cream or melted butter.
– You need to buy the cottage cheese in a Polish, Moldovan or Russian shop. The cottage cheese we eat from a tub from the supermarket is not the same – it is too soft. Real cottage cheese is firm and is a fermented product so it is good for your gut bacteria and microbiome.
– You can cheat and use Philadelphia cream cheese instead of cottage cheese but it’s not authentic.
– You can add herbs like sage or thyme to the cheese.
– If you don’t feel like making your own pierogi at home but would like to try them, you’ll find them in the frozen section of Polish and Eastern European shops.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Parsnip and Cheddar Soup
Courgette and Cumin Soup
Pot Roast with Star Anise
Potato and Corned Beef Hash Filo Pie
Dutch Fried Tomatoes
Tips for Filling a Jam Sponge Cake
Shredded Chicken with Garlic Sauce
Warm Potato Salad with Spicy Buttermilk Dressing
Crisp buttery vanilla waffles