Melt-in-the-mouth chicken burgers flavoured with ginger, coriander and a good belt of chilli. Who says healthy food is not tasty?
400g chicken breast, minced or chopped very finely
1 egg, beaten
A cup of breadcrumbs (you may not need all of them)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
Handful of coriander, finely chopped
1-2 teaspoons of chilli oil to taste (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350C/Gas Mark 4.
2. Mix the chicken and egg together in a large bowl. Add a few tablespoons of breadcrumbs, enough to make the mixture firm but not too wet. If the burgers are too dry they will fall apart.
3. Fry the chopped onion in a little of the vegetable oil until softened but not caramelised. Add to the chicken and egg mixture with the garlic, ginger, coriander, chilli oil (if using) and season with salt and black pepper.
4. Oil a baking sheet with vegetable oil. Shape the chicken mixture into 4 burgers and lay them on the baking tray with a spatula. If they come apart rebuild them on the tray and press them together. Bake until they are golden turning half way through. They will take about 12-15 minutes – the cooking time depends on your oven and how large or small the burgers are so keep an eye on them. Make a cut in the burgers with a sharp knife to check that they are cooked through.
– You can also fry the burgers in a tablespoon of olive oil.
– Serve the chicken burgers in a brioche bun, on focaccia or another interesting bread garnished with roast red pepper, gherkins or sliced cucumber and mayonnaise mixed with mustard and wash it down with a cold, cold beer!
– Use any herb instead of coriander: parsley, tarragon, marjoram, basil oregano or mint.
– Add a teaspoon of lemon or lime zest to the chicken mixture.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Aubergine Antipasti – Melanzane Grigliata
Master Recipe for Meatloaf or Meatballs
How to cook Halloumi
Tortillas with Chicken, Coriander, Chilli and Lime
How to roast a sweet potato
Dutch Fried Tomatoes
Beef Pad Thai
Warm Potato Salad with Spicy Buttermilk Dressing
Baked Red Kuri (Hubbard) squash
Warm Chestnut Mushroom and Mange Tout Salad
Roast tomatoes with Thyme and Sea Salt
Aloo Ghobi Mutter – Cauliflower with Potatoes and Peas
Sardines with Chilli Oil
Spaghetti con le Vongole
5 ways to cook with frozen peas