A traditional northern vegetarian Indian dish.
4 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
450g potatoes, cut into small cubes
1 small cauliflower, cut into small cubes
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/3 tsp chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 tomatoes, chopped finely
1 teaspoon salt
150g frozen peas
Pinch of garam masala
1. Heat the oil in a wok or large non-stock frying pan over a medium heat.
2. Add the onions and fry for 3-4 minutes until a pale golden.
3. Add the potatoes and cauliflower and fry to 1-2 minutes. Add the turmeric, chilli, cumin, coriander, tomatoes, salt and sugar. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the peas and water, cover and reduce heat to medium and cook for about 20 minutes until the potatoes and cauliflower are tender. During the cooking period stir the vegetables occasionally to prevent sticking and add a little more water if you need to.
5. Sprinkle with garam masala and freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve.
Instead of using turmeric, chilli powder and ground coriander use 2 tablespoons of your favourite curry paste and use the oil from the jar instead of the 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Or use a few tablespoons of your favourite curry sauce from a jar.