Freda Molamphy’s recipe for a rich fruity chutney with an intensity of flavour that serves game, particularly goose, very well.
2 x 425g tins black cherries, pitted
250 ml good quality white wine vinegar
2 shallots, very finely chopped
185g pale golden sugar
125g large, plump sultanas
1 tablespoon white mustard seeds
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon whole cloves
2 teaspoons salt
1. Drain the cherries and reserve 1 can of the juice.
2. Place the cherries and the juice in a medium saucepan with the remaining ingredients.
3. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 1 hour stirring occasionally.
4. Remove the lid and cook for a further 45 minutes or until thickened – don’t let it get too solid.
5. Remove from the heat and cool fully before stirring and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Photography copyright foodpixies.com