Make a jar of our Garlic and Rosemary Salt and sprinkle it on a steak, pork chops or leg of lamb before you cook them, use to season roast pork during cooking; toss a sprinkling with cooked pasta, olive oil and finely chopped fresh tomatoes for supper or use it to season everyday dishes where you need salt and herbs for flavour.
4 cloves garlic, skin on
2 stalks rosemary
100g sea salt
8 black peppercorns
1. Place all the ingredients into a grinder or food processor and whizz (or grind by hand in a mortar and pestle).
Recipe Note and Variations:
– Store the seasoning salt for up to 2 weeks in a closed tin or sealed plastic bag. The salt will last for longer than 2 weeks but it will taste stronger as the herbs and garlic dry out so you may need to use less. It will lose some of its brightness but will still be good.
– Use half rosemary and sage or 8 leaves of sage instead of the rosemary.
– Add the zest of 1/2 lemon.
– Use green or pink peppercorns instead of black peppercorns.
MORE RECIPES AND FOOD FEATURES
Which Mortar and Pestle should you buy?
How to roast a leg of lamb
Slow Roast Lamb Shoulder
Chef tip on cooking with herbs
Potatoes baked in Olive oil and Rosemary
Pot Roast with Star Anise
Should you season a steak before you cook it?
Spinach and almond soup
How to use up Cooked Pasta and Create Resistant Starch
Why you need to clean clams to remove sand
Master Tomato Sauce recipe
Photograph copyright foodpixies.com