Toasting nuts before you use them in cooked dishes, in baking or in granola enhances their flavour. It also makes it easier to remove their skins.
How to toast nuts
1. Preheat the oven to 180F/350F/Gas 4.
2. Spread the nuts in a baking tray or sheet pan. Bake the nuts for 5 to 10 minutes until golden.
How to remove the skins from nuts
If the nuts need to be skinned for your recipe, bake them for 5 minutes, remove the tray and remove the skins with a dry tea towel, then return the nuts to the oven to continue roasting for another 5 minutes or until golden.
Tips on cooking with nuts and storing ground almonds
– Always taste a whole nut before you use it in cooking: if it takes mealy and/or bitter, throw the lot away as they have become rancid.
– Always keep nuts in a sealed container with a note of their use-by-date.
– Keep ground almonds in the fridge in a sealed bag once the bag has been opened, otherwise they will become mouldy.