When you roast a ham or gammon on the bone, keep the bone and make soup. It makes a broth that is light after a heavy Christmas diet, it’s delicious and so good for you. You won’t need salt as the ham bone will be salty enough.
1 ham or gammon bone
1-2 litres cold water
1 bay leaf
1 onion, peeled and cut in half
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
Fresh parsley, chopped to garnish (optional)
1. Place the ham bone in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Pour over enough cold water to submerge it. Add the bay leaf and onion. Bring the water to the boil, turn the heat to low, put the lid on and cook for an hour topping up the water if you need to during cooking.
2. Remove the bone, scraping off any meat into the broth. Discard the bone.
3. Add the potatoes to the broth, turn the heat up to a healthy simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Remove the bay leaf and serve garnished with the parsley if you are using it.
– You can cook the broth without adding potatoes, strain it, leave it to cool and freeze it to use in cabbage and potato or leek soup and to use for ham and pea risotto.
– Add a handful of frozen peas to the broth a minute before you finish cooking it.
– Add finely sliced leeks with the potato for Leek and Potato Soup.
– You can blitz the soup to make it thick – remove some of the potato first and return it to the pan to add before serving. You can freeze the soup after you have cooked the potatoes in the broth too.
Slow Roast Lamb Shoulder
Sweet Potato and Cheddar Soup
Baked Sweet Potato with Pineapple, Roasted Chickpeas and Curry Cream
Chef tip on cooking with herbs
Recipes from an Italian Butcher: Milanese Osso Bucco
Sweet Potato mash
Burgundy Beef and Red Wine Stew
Light French onion soup
Spinach Soup with Mint and Chilli
Irish Potato Stuffing recipe
How to roast a joint of pork
Leek and Potato Soup with Smoked Haddock
Butternut Squash, Aubergine and Cep soup
Lentils with Roast Peppers, Cherry Tomatoes and Sherry Vinegar Dressing
How to Make a Galette de Bretagne or Buckwheat Pancake
How to Make a White Stock
Greek lemon chicken soup
Parsnip and Cheddar Soup