Blenders make light work of chopping and whizzing but they can be lethal if you are not careful. Read our tips to make your blender work safely in your kitchen.
– Only half fill a blender with liquid. If you overfill it, it will literally explode out of the lid.
– Never pour hot or very boiling liquid into the blender in case it spills out over the top. Always leave a hot soup or sauce to cool for a while before whizzing it.
– No matter what the cookery books say, it is virtually impossible to make mayonnaise with one egg in a blender. The egg yolk gets stuck in the blade and you can’t get it to emulsify with the oil to thicken. Make it in a mortar and pestle instead.
– Whizz the hard ingredients first before adding soft ingredients. For example, if you were blending nuts and breadcrumbs for a nut stuffing, you would whizz the nuts first until you get a course texture, then add the breadcrumbs and while the breadcrumbs are blending, the nuts will spin around reducing in size so that everything is of uniform size.
– When you are blending dry or wet ingredients, stop the blender at intervals and scrape down the sides to make sure everything gets caught in the blade. If you are blending dry ingredients, you can lift the blender off its pod and give it a little shake to redistribute the contents and ensure everything hits the blade.
– You can usually wash everything except the electric base and the rubber rings in the dishwasher, but check your manual.
– If you are unsure about the quantity you should put in your blender, then blend in batches and pour the batches of blended ingredients into a large bowl. Stir with a spoon to integrate them.
– Be careful with coffee beans, some blender blades are not sturdy enough to cope with hard beans. Use a coffee grinder instead.
– If the glass bowl gets cracked or chipped, throw it away. The pressure of the motor may make the glass shatter in operation.
– Always start on a slow speed and gently move up the speed curve. That way you won’t get a fright if everything starts to jump out!
– Put a dry tea towel under the stand of the blender to steady it if you wish.
– It’s worth buying a good quality blender – they look well and last a long time.