Keep your vintage metal biscuit or cookie cutters from going rusty with these tips.
– Wipe the cutters after use and dry them thoroughly. Metal cutters rust when they get damp.
– Dust them with a little flour before storing them, it will absorb any moisture.
– If you get packs of silica gel or desiccant with computers, pop those in the drawer or storage box with your cutters – they soak up moisture and stop your cutters going rusty.
– If you want to avoid the problem altogether, buy brightly coloured plastic cutters or stainless steel cutters, though they won’t feel as traditional. Sets that stack into themslves are great space-savers.
– If you buy vintage metal cutters that are already rusty, sand them with fine sandpaper and rub with mineral oil.