These little crisp sweet custard tarts are a classic Portuguese pastry – you can make your own at home easily with bought puff pastry and a carton of custard.
One packet of puff pastry
400ml custard, bought in a carton or home-made
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons icing sugar
Cinnamon for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/gas 5.
2. Roll the pastry into a large square. Cut out 12 circles about 10cm in diameter and press them gently into the holes of a muffin tin.
3. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Add the custard and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
4. Spoon the mixture into the pastry cases. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden. Cool and then remove the custard tarts from the tin to a baking tray (they are quite delicate so if you remove them while they are warm they can crack).
5. Dust each tart with icing sugar and place the tray under a hot grill until the icing sugar has caramelised and the top of the tarts are golden – keep an eye on them as they burn easily. Dust each tart with a little cinnamon.
Photograph copyright foodpixies.com