We were given this cake recipe by a chef in a little town outside Milan. He served it as a dessert, sending the whole cake from table to table for the customers to take a slice. It’s an all-in-one cake batter recipe: tip everything into a bowl, food processor or stand mixer and whisk or blitz.
4 eggs – at room temperature
200g plain flour
200g olive oil
1 level teaspoon of baking powder
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
2. Put all the ingredients into a large bowl and beat everything together with a wooden spoon or in a stand mixer, until it is creamy and blended.
3. Pour into a 7 inch oiled and lined baking tin. (It’s easier to remove the cake if you use a paper cake liner.)
4. Bake for 35 minutes and check if a skewer comes out clean. Check every five minutes after that to see if it is done. (It will depend on your oven and the size and shape of tin you use.)
– Dust fruit slices in flour eg apples or pears and stir into the cake batter before baking. (This stops the fruit dropping to the bottom and keeps them suspended in the cake.)
– You can add lemon zest and vanilla to the batter if you wish.
– You can also use half olive oil and half sunflower oil.
– Dust the cake with icing sugar for a special occasion.
– You can also serve lightly stewed fruit on the side of a slice of this cake and whipped cream to turn it into a stylish dessert.
– You can add chopped nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts or almonds) or chocolate chips to the mixture.
MORE DESSERT AND BAKING RECIPES
Black Olive and Ginger Quick Bread
Crisp buttery vanilla waffles
Donegal Table: Lemon Drizzle Cake with Irish Summer Berries
Fruit Hand Pie
How to make Italian Meringue
Room for Dessert: Chocolate Caramel Crème Brûlée
How to Bake Quince
La Flognarde aux Apricots
Meringues with Raspberry and Rose Syrup
The Sportsman Recipe: Focaccia
Oat and Almond cookies
Meringue with Cherries and Baileys Cream
How to Melt Chocolate
Griddled Plums with Feta Cheese, Maple Syrup and Mint
Oranges Marinated in Grand Marnier
Baked Greengages with Cumin, Basil and Lime
All-in-One Victoria Sponge with Banana-Peanut Butter Filling
Plums baked with Honey, Orange and Cardamom