Use this technique to poach any soft fruit.
400g rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tablespoon caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Place the rhubarb and caster sugar in a saucepan. Cook over a low heat for 5 to 10 minutes or until the rhubarb is soft, but still holding its shape. Taste after five minutes and if the rhubarb is tart, add a little more sugar. Add the vanilla extract and stir gently. Eat warm or leave to cool.
– Add a teaspoon of grated ginger to the rhubarb with the caster sugar.
– Add the zest of one orange and 1 teaspoon of orange flower water to the rhubarb with the caster sugar.
– For strawberry and rhubarb compote, use 200g rhubarb and 200g hulled and halved strawberries. Add the strawberries for the last 3 minutes of the cooking time. To make a quick strawberry and rhubarb compote, cook the fruit until it collapses completely. Place in a sterilised jar or bowl and keep covered in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
– To make a quick rhubarb jam, cook the rhubarb recipe above until it collapses completely and is thick. Place in a sterilised jar or bowl and keep covered in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Photograph copyright foodpixies.com