A no-bake dessert that you can make in advance – make the sundaes in vintage glasses or in empty Bonne Maman jam jars and chill in the fridge.
For the Ginger Biscuit Base:
4 ginger nut biscuits, crushed
4 tablespoons butter, melted
For the Cheesecake Topping:
200ml single cream, whipped
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
225g cream cheese, softened
2-3 tablespoons caster sugar (you may not need all of it)
200g poached or baked rhubarb, chilled
1. Mix the crushed ginger nut biscuits with melted butter and spoon into the bottom of the glasses, leaving some for the garnish.
2. Whisk the whipped cream and vanilla extract into the cream cheese and sweeten it to taste with caster sugar.
3. Top the biscuit base with some of the cream cheese mixture, spoon over chilled rhubarb and finish with a swirl of cheesecake mixture and a sprinkling of biscuit crumbs.
Variations on this recipe:
– Use Amaretti biscuits instead of ginger nuts and add a spoon of Amaretto or Frangelico liqueur to either the rhubarb when you poach or bake it or to the cream cheese frosting instead of the vanilla.
– For a nostalgic dessert, switch the cream cheese frosting for whipped Dream Topping or bought custard;
– Crush chocolate chip cookies (white or milk chocolate) and use instead of the ginger nut biscuits; use a dollop of chocolate chip ice cream instead of cream and top with baked rhubarb and melted chocolate. The rhubarb needs to be tart (use less sugar when baking it) or this version will be overly sweet.
– Use any poached or drained tinned fruit instead of rhubarb.