A french classic. Bake the fondants immediately or chill for up to 24 hours in advance and bake just before serving.
Makes 6 chocolate fondants. You’ll need 6 ramekins
You’ll need butter to grease the ramekins
150g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
150g unsalted butter
150g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
3 eggs, beaten
100g plain flour, sifted
Small pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350 F/Gas 4. Grease the ramekins well with butter.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a bain marie (a bowl over a barely simmering pan of water).
2. Place the caster sugar and vanilla extract (if using) in a large bowl. Whisk or stir in the chocolate and butter mixture.
3. Whisk the egg mixture a third at a time into the sugar/chocolate mixture stirring well to combine. When incorporated, fold in the flour gently with the pinch of salt using a large spoon, keeping as much air in the mixture as possible, until you can see no traces of flour.
4. Divide the mixture between the ramekins. Place the ramekins on a baking tray and bake for 11-13 minutes – you will know they are done because they will puff up and crack (see our image). Serve warm.
CHOCOLATE FONDANT RECIPE TIP
If you want to reheat the chocolate fondants after they have been cooked and cooled pop them in a preheated 180C/350 F/Gas 4 oven for a few minutes. They will lose the ‘rise’ but you can solve the optics of this by cutting into them before serving and spooning over a dollop of double or sour cream or dusting them with icing sugar or sprinkling over shaved chocolate or Cadbury’s Flake or crushed ginger nuts or amaretti biscuits.
If you bake the chocolate fondants for longer than 12-13 minutes they will dry out and you won’t get that lovely gooey melting centre.
MORE DESSERT AND CAKE RECIPES
Cantuccini with almonds and fruit
How to macerate strawberries
Helen’s Decadent Dingle Whiskey Chocolate Torte
Rich Chocolate mousse
Oat and Almond cookies
How to achieve a fruit tart without a ‘soggy pastry’ bottom
How to Get the Same Amount of Batter in each Cupcake
Poached apples with maple and cardamom syrup
Meringues with Raspberry and Rose Syrup
A Quick Sophisticated Strawberry and Vanilla Gratin
Blackberries in Cassis with Goat’s Cheese
Photograph copyright foodpixies.com