We make this every year and give it to friends as presents. You can pot it into Kilner preserving jars and tie it with ribbons.
Juice of one orange
Zest of one orange
Vodka – about 50ml but you can add more or less to taste
25g caster sugar
One punnet of fresh cranberries
Freshly ground black pepper
This is not strictly a recipe – you can add more of anything if you wish, even after it is cooked. Start with 25g of sugar and add more at the end. Make it to your own taste.
1. Put the orange juice, orange zest, vodka and caster sugar into a large non-stick saucepan.
2. Bring to the boil and stir. Add the water.
3. When the sugar has melted add the cranberries.
4. Mix well and put the lid on the saucepan. Cook for 10 minutes.
5. Take the lid off and taste. Add more sugar if it is too bitter, put the heat back on and taste again. Add more vodka if you want more of a kick. Add a little black pepper to balance out the flavours. If you have too much fluid, put it back on the heat and boil until the sauce reduces, stirring.