‘This flavourful meat is cooked slowly until succulent and falling off the bone into its dark, deeply rich sauce’, Jane Lovett says in her new book The Get-Ahead Cook. ‘Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and earthy vegetables, such as cabbage, chard, kale, celeriac purée or leeks in white sauce. This is best started at least a day before eating.’
4 short ribs of beef (see Hints & Tips, below)
1 tbsp seasoned flour vegetable oil
1 onion, sliced
1 parsnip, peeled and diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
300ml (10fl oz) red wine
500ml (18fl oz) beef stock (or use 1 stock cube)
1 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste or tomato purée
a good pinch of dried thyme
2 bay leaves
salt and freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE HORSERADISH CREAM
110g (4oz) crème fraîche
2 tsp creamed horseradish
1 tsp English mustard
1 tbsp chopped chives
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
2. Trim the ribs of all excess fat and toss in the seasoned flour until coated all over. Heat a little oil in a casserole or saucepan and brown the ribs well on all sides, in batches if necessary.
3. Remove from the pan and drain off all but 1–2 tablespoons of fat, or add a little more oil to the pan if necessary. Cook the onion and parsnip, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown. This is important, as it will give the sauce a good colour and flavour. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
4. Return the ribs to the pan, with the bones uppermost if possible, and add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to the boil and check the seasoning (it will taste rather raw and bitter at this stage because of the uncooked wine).
5. Transfer to the preheated oven and cook for 3 hours, or until the meat is almost falling off the bones, giving it a gentle stir roughly halfway through and adding a little more liquid if necessary.
6. Meanwhile, mix together the horseradish cream ingredients, leaving a few chives aside for garnishing. Season with salt and pepper and loosen with a little water if necessary.
7. Skim the fat from the top of the casserole if eating straightaway or, better still, cool, cover and refrigerate overnight. Lift off and discard the layer of fat that has set on the top. Reheat on the hob or in a medium oven for 20–30 minutes when required.
8.Serve on a platter with the horseradish cream dribbled over the top and the reserved chives.
Jane’s Hints and Tips
– The ribs and sauce can be made up to 4 days in advance. The ribs also freeze well.
– The ribs are available from good supermarkets, or ask the butcher for beef short ribs (or thin ribs, or Jacob’s Ladder), roughly 10 x 6cm (4 x 21⁄2in) or half a rib.
– If the sauce is too runny, remove the ribs and bubble it furiously for 10 minutes or so, until it has thickened to your liking.
MORE RECIPES FROM JANE LOVETT’S BOOK ‘THE GET-AHEAD COOK’
WHERE TO BUY THE BOOK
You can buy a signed copy from Jane Lovett’s website and if you want to send a copy as a gift you can ask for a personalised message to be inscribed in the book. You’ll also find more information on the author.
MORE RECIPES AND FOOD FEATURES
Glow by Kate O’Brien: Caramel Smoothie Bowl
The Sportsman Recipe: Warm Chocolate Mousse
How to Make a Caper and Mustard Sauce
Spaghetti with Rocket Pesto and Tomatoes
Recipes from an Italian Butcher: Milanese Osso Bucco
How to Make Your Cake Baking Foolproof
Salmon and Horseradish Canapés
The Butcher & The Cook: Fiorentina Steak with Rosemary Dressing
Potato and Asparagus Salad (Vegan-friendly)
Baked Greengages with Cumin, Basil and Lime
Roast Leg of Spring Lamb with Mint Hollandaise Sauce
Room for Dessert: Bocadillo Helado – Ice Cream Sandwiches
Tagliatelle with Lamb’s Lettuce, Walnut and Mint Pesto
Japan – The Cookbook: Asparagus with Sesame-Vinegar Dressing
Red Cabbage and Dill Salad (Vegan-friendly recipe)
Fig, Ricotta and Feta Cheese Crispbreads
Lentil and Tomato Soup with Paprika and Cumin
Barbecue Pork Ribs Recipe
Roast Sweet Potato, Spicy Chorizo and Orange Salad
3 Michelin-star chef Pedro Subijana creates steak tartare
Oranges Marinated in Grand Marnier
Roast Pepper, Tomato and Garlic Soup
Rye, Cream Cheese and Horseradish Canapés