Kate O’Brien’s new book GLOW offers a four-week plan to revitalise your skin with gut-friendly foods that contain the necessary nutrients to keep your skin, gut and body vibrant, alive and glowing. This meat-free vegetarian Shepard’s Pie is just one of the 60-plus plant-based recipes in the book along with a targeted step-by-step skincare routine that separates skincare fact from fiction.
200g uncooked green lentils
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons olive or rapeseed oil
1 red onion, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
1 courgette, cut into half rounds
8 cherry tomatoes, halved
400ml low-salt vegetable stock
100ml red wine
2 teaspoons mixed herbs
Knob of butter (or extra oil)
Sea salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180 Fan/200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. Cook the lentils according to the directions on the pack.
3. Place the sweet potatoes in a pot and cover with boiling water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and leave in the pot, covered with a clean dry cloth to absorb excess moisture.
4. In a large saucepan, heat the oil and add the red onion, garlic, carrot, red pepper, courgette and cherry tomatoes. Sauté over a medium heat for 10 minutes until nicely softened. Pour in the vegetable stock, red wine, cooked lentils, 1 tsp mixed herbs and the bay leaf. Bring to the boil and reduce to simmer. Half cover and allow to reduce for 15 minutes. While the lentil mix is reducing, mash the cooked sweet potatoes with a large knob of butter (or a drizzle of olive oil), salt, pepper and 1 tsp of mixed herbs.
5. Pour the lentil mix into a medium-sized casserole dish and top with the mashed sweet potato. Cook in the oven for 15 minutes. Enjoy while hot.
Glow is published by Gill Books and is available at Easons, Dubray Books and all good bookshops in Ireland, and at Amazon – link below.
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Price: £14.58Was: £17.99
Glow by Kate O’Brien: Asian-Style Salmon Bowl
Omelette with Salmon, Parmesan and Chives
Broad Beans with Lettuce, Shallots and Mint
Roast Salmon Fillets with Ras el Hanout
Roast Leg of Spring Lamb with Mint Hollandaise Sauce
How to make hummus at home from scratch
Spicy Chicken Paella with Chorizo
Roast Pepper, Tomato and Garlic Soup
How to Roast a Goose
Japan – The Cookbook: Asparagus with Sesame-Vinegar Dressing
Sesame and Soy Sauce Spinach Salad
Mustard Dressing for Smoked Salmon
VIDEO: How to Make Shortcrust Pastry by Hand
How to Make Pulled Pork at Home from Pork Shoulder
Fig, Proscuitto and Walnut Salad (Vegan-friendly)
Crispy Goat’s Cheese Salad with Orange and Cumin Yogurt Dressing
Diana Henry: Pink Grapefruit and Basil Ice Cream
Room for Dessert: Burrata Pizza with White Chocolate Chantilly Cream