Who doesn’t love lemon drizzle cake? This is chef Brian McDermott’s recipe from his book ‘Donegal Table’ published by The O’Brien Press. ‘It’s actually easier than you might think to create this wonderful treat’, he says. Use the best Irish strawberries, raspberries and redcurrants and taste a little Donegal summer!
Makes one 25cm round cake
225 g unsalted butter, softened
225 g caster sugar
225 g self-raising flour, sieved
Drizzle of vanilla essence
Zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
For the drizzle topping
Juice of 1 lemon
120 g icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Line a 25 cm round tin with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, beat the butter and caster sugar using an electric mixer until creamy and light in colour.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing between each addition, followed by the sieved flour. Then add the vanilla and lemon zest. Mix well.
4. Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake in the oven for 40–45 minutes.
5. Prepare the drizzle by adding the lemon juice to the icing sugar.
6. Remove the cake from the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack, then drizzle with the icing. Arrange the berries on top.
Enjoy with a dollop of freshly whipped Irish cream.
BRIAN MCDERMOTT is an award-winning chef who is passionate about sharing his love of food with others. As a host, presenter and demonstrator, he is one of the most sought-after chefs on the Irish food-festival circuit. He also runs his own cookery school in Moville, County Donegal and is a food consultant to some of the best-known names in Irish food. He is the author of the successful cookery book Reunite with Food and is a regular on RTÉ and BBC television and radio, and in the local and national press. He lives in Moville with his wife, Brenda, and daughters, Niamh and Aoife.
Where to buy the Donegal Table
You’ll find the Donegal Table on sale at good bookstores in Ireland, at our Amazon link below and at the O’Brien Press online store.