Make them into bars or roll into balls! The ratio is 1:1, one part dates and one part cashews so it is easy to scale the recipe. If you use 200g of dates, use 200g of cashews. Switch the nuts to brazil nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts or any other nut you like and add a teaspoon of any flavouring from vanilla to orange flower water or rose water to orange extract.
300g dates, pitted
300g dried apricots
300g cashews, lightly toasted and roughly chopped
300g dried apricots
1. Place the dates and dried apricots in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to soften for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Put the dates, apricots and cashews in a food processor and process to a paste – the mixture needs to form a ball, otherwise the mixture will be too dry and won’t stick together.
2. Line a baking tray or dish about 1 inch deep with cling film leaving enough hanging over the edges so you can cover the tray. Spoon in the paste and flatten with a spoon. Gather the cling film across the top so it is completely covered. Chill for half an hour, remove and cut into rectangles. Wrap them individually in parchment or cling film.
To make Date and Cashew Balls, roll the paste into balls and chill on a parchment lined tray covered with cling film to firm up for 30 minutes. Store in an airtight tin.
– Add 2 tablespoons of honey, agave, maple or golden syrup.
– Add a few spoons of dessicated coconut to the mixture.
– Press some whole or crushed pistachios into the paste when it is in the tin for colour and texture.
– Add lemon or orange zest to the mixture after you process it.
MORE RECIPES AND FOOD FEATURES
Sour-Cream Waffles with Maple Syrup
Spaghetti Cacio e Pepe
Basil and Walnut Pesto
Baked Sweet Potato with Pineapple, Roasted Chickpeas and Curry Cream
Roast Pepper, Tomato and Garlic Soup
A Fool-Proof Way to Poach an Egg
How long can you store herbs and spices?
Red Cabbage and Dill Salad (Vegan-friendly recipe)
Rocket and Cashew PestoFig, Ricotta and Feta Cheese Crispbreads
Spicy Shiitake Miso Soup with Tofu and Rayu
Spaghetti with Rocket Pesto and Tomatoes
A Quick Sophisticated Strawberry and Vanilla Gratin
What you need to know about pasta
How to Use a Blender Correctly
How to Make Your Cake Baking Foolproof
Black Olive and Ginger Quick Bread
VIDEO: How to Make Mayonnaise in Four Different Ways
How to make Pesto
How to Make Flavoured Mash
Stuffed Courgettes or Zucchini with Pork and Beef (Verdure Ripiene)
5 clever uses for paprika
Rich Chocolate Fondant
Orange and Almond Cake with Maple Syrup
Donegal Table: Irish Bacon and Cheese Soda Bread
Tagliatelle with Lamb’s Lettuce, Walnut and Mint Pesto
10 Tips to making a Better Loaf of Bread
Plums baked with Honey, Orange and Cardamom
How to Make Crystallised Orange or Candied Orange Peel
Glow by Kate O’Brien: Asian-Style Salmon Bowl
How to make baking powder from scratch
Photography copyright foodpixies.com