From Jane Lovett’s cookbook The Get-Ahead Cook published by Apicius. This dish, Janes says, ‘is a little bit spicy, very comforting, all in one pan and an excellent way of using up leftover potatoes. Good for brunch, lunch or supper and perfect for the morning after the night before! All quantities are approximate, so use more or less according to who you’re feeding and what you have to hand’.
1 large onion, sliced
6 fresh chorizo sausages
2 cloves garlic, crushed
A good pinch of dried oregano
½ teaspoon hot smoked paprika
675g waxy new potatoes, cooked and cut into rough chunks
100g baby spinach
A few sprigs of parsley, chopped
Nigella seeds, tabasco or sriracha sauce (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat a little olive oil in a sauté or deep frying pan and cook the onion until soft and just beginning to brown. Slice each sausage diagonally into approximately six slices and add to the onions. Fry over a high heat until beginning to brown and the red juices are running from the chorizo.
2. Add the garlic, oregano, smoked paprika and potatoes, and season with salt and black pepper. Gently mix together and, when sizzling vigorously, cover with a lid and cook over a lower heat for 10 minutes. The mixture should only just be sizzling very gently.
3. Add the spinach and nestle in until just wilted.
4. Fry the eggs in a little olive oil in a separate frying pan, or poach them, and serve on top of the hash with a good scattering of parsley. Add nigella seeds and a few drops of Tabasco or sriracha sauce, if you wish
Cook to the end of step 2 up to a day in advance. If preparing on the day, just leave in the pan and continue when required.
Hints & tips
Jane’s Hints & tips
– Some people might like 2 eggs!
– Try using soft semi-dried salami-style chorizo in place of fresh chorizo
– Use regular paprika and a pinch of chili powder if you don’t have hot smoked paprika.
MORE RECIPES FROM JANE LOVETT’S BOOK ‘THE GET-AHEAD COOK’
WHERE TO BUY THE BOOK
You can buy a signed copy from Jane Lovett’s website and if you want to send a copy as a gift you can ask for a personalised message to be inscribed in the book. You’ll also find more information on the author.
MORE RECIPES AND FOOD FEATURES
Fig, Proscuitto and Walnut Salad (Vegan-friendly)
The Sportsman Recipe: Focaccia
Room for Dessert: Burrata Pizza with White Chocolate Chantilly Cream
Fig and Cinnamon Shrub
Diana Henry Recipe: Spinach and Ricotta Gnudi
Warm Chestnut Mushroom and Mange Tout Salad
The Butcher & The Cook: How to Buy a T-Bone Steak
Roast Sweet Potato, Spicy Chorizo and Orange Salad
How to Make a Caper and Mustard Sauce
Radishes with Butter and Maldon Sea Salt
Penne with Sausage and Chilli
Roast Pepper, Tomato and Garlic Soup
HOW TO COOK | Roast Pheasant with Red Wine and Juniper
Japan – The Cookbook: Asparagus with Sesame-Vinegar Dressing
Donegal Table: Fifteen-Minute Orzo Pasta with Bacon and Cabbage
VIDEO: How to Make Mayonnaise in Four Different Ways