This is the kind of healthy soup that makes you feel good about yourself once you have eaten it.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 bag of baby spinach, washed
1 courgette, roughly chopped
1/2 red or yellow pepper, roughly chopped
2 stems of fresh mint (plus more for garnish)
1 clove garlic
Half teaspoon dried mint
1/2 red chilli with our without seeds (plus more for garnish)
400ml chicken or vegetable stock
Sour cream, crème fraîche or yoghurt, fresh mint leaves and sliced red chilli
1. Place all the ingredients except the stock in a large saucepan. Cook for five minutes until the spinach wilts, add the stock, bring the mixture to the boil then reduce to a gentle simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until the red pepper and courgette are collapsing.
2. Leave the soup to cool a little, whizz in a blender until really smooth adding more water to thin it out to the consistency you like. Serve with a dollop of crème fraîche, sour cream or yoghurt; chopped mint leaves and sliced red chilli scattered on top.
– The soup freezes well.
– Replace the fresh mint in this recipe with 1/4 bunch of fresh basil.
– Use the seeds of one cardamon and half a teaspoon of mixed herbs, Herbes de Provence or dried oregano instead of the dried mint.
– To give this soup a vibrant green colour, blanch the spinach and to the soup when you are blending it. (To blanch spinach, place it in a bowl of boiling water until it wilts, drain and run the spinach under cold water or plunge it into a bowl of iced water. This helps to maintain its colour.)
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO COOK:
Spinach and almond soup
Courgette and Cumin Soup
Carrot and Orange Soup
How to make croutons
Leek and Potato Soup with Smoked Haddock
Chicken and leek stroganoff
Pancetta, tomato and chilli pasta
Turkish Rice with Aubergine and Tomato
Linguine with Vodka and Roast Tomato Sauce
Loaded potato skins
Radish and sour cream salad
Tangy Buttermilk Mint Dressing
Photography copyright foodpixies.com