The perfect canapé. For an appetiser serve on a plate with dressed rocket or mixed leaves or make a larger version for lunch or a light dinner.
200g shortcrust pastry, defrosted if frozen
125ml milk, full-fat
125ml single cream
1 egg yolk
100g smoked salmon
4 tablespoons of your favourite onion relish
50g cream cheese
Basil leaves to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
1. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured board.
2. Oil a mini-muffin pan or porcelain tart dishes.
3. Cut the pastry to shape (the quantity you make will depend on how large your moulds are). Press the pastry into the muffin moulds or tart dishes leaving a rim of pastry to allow for shrinkage. Line the pastry with greaseproof paper and place baking beans or uncooked rice on top. Blind-bake for ten minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the paper and the beans or rice. Put the muffin or tartlet cases back into the oven for another 5 minutes.
2. Mix the milk, cream and eggs and egg yolk together.
3. Cut the smoked salmon into strips. Drop a spoon of onion relish into each tart case. Spoon in a dollop or two of cream cheese, top with smoked salmon and pour in the egg mixture. Add a basil leaf or two to each tart.
4. Return the muffin moulds or tarts to the oven for about 15 minutes or until puffed and golden. They should be cooked but the filling should be wobbly when you remove them from the oven. Rest for a few minute to set before eating. You need to remove the quiches from the muffin moulds but you can serve them in the porcelain tart dishes.
Add a layer of cold cooked spinach instead (or on top of) the onion relish or use fried shallots or fried or roasted garlic instead of the onion relish.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Omelette with Salmon, Parmesan and Chives
Mustard Dressing for Smoked Salmon
Heirloom Tomato Tart
Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Blinis
How to make a Galette de Bretagne
How to use up leftover bagels
Do you need a Pizza or Crust Cutter?
Italian Bruschetta recipes
Authentic Caeser Salad
Portuguese Custard Tarts – Pastel de Nata
Ginger and Rhubarb Cheesecake Sundae
La Flognarde aux Apricots