Take a bag of frozen peas, water or stock and a squeeze of lemon and you can make an ambrosial comforting soup in less than 15 minutes.
3 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
500g frozen peas
700ml water or vegetable or chicken stock
Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Crème fraîche and fresh basil or mint to serve
1. Heat the butter over a medium heat in a large sauce pan. Add the shallots and cook over the lowest heat until they are soft but not coloured.
2. Add the peas and the stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer until the peas are cooked through (8-10 minutes).
3. Purée the soup with an immersion blender or in a stand blender. Thin the soup with water if it is too thick. Return the soup to a clean saucepan, add the lemon juice and season to taste. Reheat and serve with a basil leaf on top and a spoon of crème fraîche.
– Use water or vegetable stock if you are making this soup vegetarian.
– Sour cream can be used instead of crème fraîche.
– Serve with a spoon of fried bacon or pancetta on top.
How to make garlic croutons
Make garlic croutons to garnish the soup: trim the crusts from good slices of white bread. cut into 1 inch strips, then cut each strip into 1 inch cubes. Warm 2 cut garlic cloves in olive oil, remove the garlic just as it begins to colour, fry the croutons in the garlic oil on both sides until golden and serve on top of the soup.
What Christmas Drinks Do I Serve?
Carrot and Orange Soup
Parsnip and Cheddar Soup
Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta or Bacon
Honey-glazed brussels sprouts
Light French Onion Soup
Ham Bone BrothCourgette and Cumin Soup
Pasta with Olive and Caper Tomato Sauce
Spicy Chicken Paella with Chorizo
Leek and Potato Soup with Smoked Haddock
How to remove lumps from a sauce
French Brioche Toast with Berry Compote and Sour Cream