An easy but impressive starter or light main course.
80g butter, melted
2 onions, sliced
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
400g filo pastry sheets
250g of ripe Camembert, divided into 6 pieces
6 teaspoons cranberry sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
2. Cook the onions in half the melted butter with the sugar and vinegar, over a low heat, for 25 minutes or until the onions have caramelised. Allow to cool.
3. Cut the filo into approximately 24 squares measuring 15cm on each side.
4. Layer 4 filo squares on top of the other, making a half turn each time to form a star shape, brushing each layer of filo with the rest of the melted butter as you go. Repeat with the remaining pastry to make 6 stars.
5. Place a piece of Camembert in the centre of each pastry star and top with a spoon of caramelised onions and 1 teaspoon of cranberry sauce.
6. Draw up the pastry to enclose the filling, pinching the pastry well to seal. Brush with melted butter and bake for 10-15 mins. Serve straight away.