You can do many things things with brie, other than eat it with crackers and fruit. Try our Brie Cheese and Chilli Jelly Puffs, Melting Brie Cheese with Honey and Walnuts or Brie with Honey, Sultanas and Almonds.
Brie and Chilli Jelly Puffs
Makes 24 – you’ll need a mini muffin pan
100g brie, cut into 1 inch pieces
375g ready-to-roll puff pastry sheet, defrosted if frozen ( you won’t need all of it)
16 teaspoons chilli jam or jelly
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. Cut the brie into 1/2 inch pieces.
3. Cut the pastry sheet into 2 x 2 inch squares. Roll each square of pastry to thin it out. Fit a piece of puff pastry into each muffin hole, folding the edges to give you a crinkly rim.
4. Place a teaspoon of chilli jelly in each pastry cup and top with a piece of brie. Bake at 180C/360/Gas 5 for 20-25 minutes or until puffed and golden (if your oven bakes unevenly, rotate the tray halfway through cooking). Serve warm.
Recipe notes and variations
This recipe can be prepared ahead and refrigerated until ready to bake, or you can bake them for 15 minutes and reheat them at the same temperature in a preheated oven 10 minutes before serving.)
Cut the puff pastry with a very sharp knife and try not to roll the puff pastry too heavily so you don’t flatten the layers or the pastry won’t rise.
Use any cheese that melts well instead of brie and add in chopped cooked ham or bacon with the jelly.
Melting Brie with Honey and Walnuts
1 whole ripened brie cheese
2 tablespoons honey
1-2 tablespoons dry white wine
8 walnuts, crushed roughly
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Mix the honey, wine and walnuts together.
2. Place the brie in an oven-to-table baking dish that fits it snugly. Bake for 5 minutes until it softens.
3. Spoon the nut and wine mixture over the hot cheese. Cook for another ten minutes or until the centre of the brie is hot and melting. Serve with wheat crackers and let everyone help themselves with a spoon. (Be careful, it will be hot.)
Brie with honey, sultanas and almonds
You need a microwave for this recipe. Slice the pear at the last minute so they don’t turn brown.
1 whole ripened brie cheese in a box
3 tablespoons of runny honey (try lavender or buckwheat honey)
1/2 cup of golden sultanas
1 cup of slivered almonds
2 pears, sliced thinly
1. Remove the brie from its box and place it on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave for 30 seconds until warm but not melting. Return the brie to its box. Heat the honey and the sultanas together in the microwave. Pour over the hot brie and top with the almonds. Serve with the pear slices.
Photograph copyright foodpixies.com